It’s February and it is the month of love and joy. There are many facts about February that we didn’t know of, so here are some fun facts of February!
1. February is often occurred in lists of the most misspelled words in the English language.
2. The birthstone for February is Amethyst.
3. The birth flower of February is violet or the primrose.
4. February is the only month that can pass without a full moon. The last time it happened at 1999 and will again happen at 2018.
5. The word February is believed to have derived from the name ‘Februa’ taken from the Roman ‘Festival of Purification’. The root ‘februo’ meaning to ‘I purify by sacrifice’. As part of the seasonal calendar February is the time of the ‘Ice Moon’.
6. February is also known in history for called sprout- kale by the Saxons because in that time kale, cabbage and sprouts were edible.
7. Groundhog Day celebrated at February 2 came out because Germans had a superstition. The Germans thought that if a hibernating animal would cast a shadow at February 2 that the winter would last 6 more weeks than needed. If the hibernating animal didn’t cast a shadow then that would mean spring would come early.
8. At February 24 the first ever People Magazine came out.
9. Frogs are the official mascots for leap year and leap day.
10. Two zodiac signs for February are: Aquarius (January 20 – February 18) and Pisces (February 19 – March 20).
These are some interesting facts that happened in February and how February got the name. I hope you enjoyed this article and learned some new facts!